Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Lord's Prayer in Old English

I found this striking video as posted by a friend in a Christian discussion forum.  It is supposedly in the standardized West Saxon literary dialect of Old English also known as Anglo-Saxon.   The accompanying landscape videography is most appropriate, being filmed at Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Watching this brings to mind the questions of the relationship between prayer and landscape. If, during our corporate prayers, we worship within the Body of Christ, surely in private times of communing with God in a garden, a solitary trail in the woods or by the sea, we are enfolded by the hands of creation.   


5 comments:

margaret said...

My computer and YouTube aren't friends and I can almost never play anything but I am very familiar with Arthur's Seat. It dominates Edinburgh looking rather like a pregnant lady lying down (you can see how the ancients got some of their earth mother ideas) and has two holy wells - one for St Margaret who was born in the undivided church but died in the western and one, now dried up, for St Antony. When I was a little girl it was a grazing place for sheep but they have long gone but there are still three lochs with ducks and swans and both men and women still go to wash their faces in the dew on May Day. And here endeth your impromptu Edinburgh local history lesson ;)

amy said...

Ah, Margi! Good to hear from you. Sorry you cannot view the video, but I think I enjoyed your history lesson even more =-) It's such a treat to learn from a local. What a lovely memory for you as a young girl.

I hope you will share more history of your area as you can!

May God shine His face upon you.

Jane G Meyer said...

I enjoyed listening to that prayer immensely! Thank you. It was like being given a gift from another land...

amy said...

Jane,

You are so welcome; it's a pleasure to have you visit my blog. I hope you'll visit often =-)

Peace & Blessings to all who read here...

amy

Barbara Martin said...

This is a wonderful video that produced goosebumps when I listened to it. Thank you for sharing this.

Related Posts with Thumbnails